Pages

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Giants Chair - Red and Clear - Caulfield Records 1995















I have been posting so much punk lately that I've kind of burnt myself out on it , so I figured I would completely change it up and post a record by one of my favorite bands from the mid 90's. I guess people would call this emo for lack of a better term, but it's not at all what you would expect emo to sound like compared to current standards. In the 90's a lot of bands fell under the emo tag because they didn't fit neatly under the " indie rock" tag, and I think Giants Chair are one of those bands that defied classification to a certain extent.

Anyway, this record is full of tight almost mechanically precise drumming, churning rhythms, excellent guitar playing and of course emotional vocals. I recommend you listen to this record a few times and let it sink in, but if you want a quick fix go straight to the 3rd track "Gutshot and The Jogger" which is probably my favorite song on this record, I really like how the song builds on itself as it progresses...Dave G.

6 comments:

jbm said...

i remember hearin this when it came out, but only a few times, so i don't remember it too much. Havin some computer problems right now too, so no d/ling at the moment.

there were def some great bands in the early 90's that i've heard referred to as "emo" that were great (i.e Hoover, Drive Like Jehu) and certainly nothin like the shit that became popular and trendy as "emo".

Do i remember u posted a Garden Variety 7" on here?? i remember of course comin across your blog while searching from something metal or hardcore (something makes me think it was Witchfinder General, but i'm not sure), but the fact that you also posted stuff like Seam and Quicksand made it special to me. those were two of my FAVE bands of the 90's, and both were a pretty huge influence on my own music, and several bands i played in over the years.

Do you know the band Beyond that Tom and Alan played in before Quicksand?? they had a record called "No Longer At Ease" around '90, right before Quicksand - its one my all time favorite hardcore records. they've kinda been lumped in with the whole NY straight edge hardcore scene, but always stood out to me cause they were such incredible players, as any Quicksand fan already knows. Def a band/record worth peeping if your not familiar. the Bold 7" that Tom played on is great too.

Unknown said...

Really good stuff. I normally don't listen to stuff past '91, but this record took me by surprise. Thanks for the upload!

Dave G said...

Hey JBM, Yeah I like Quicksand, Seam, Jehu, Hoover, Beyond etc. Check my older posts for the Last Crime cd which has Kevin Egan from beyond on guitar and vocals...good stuff.

Yes, I posted the 1st Garden Variety 7" a while back. I saw them live 100 times because they used to play with my brothers band all the time.

I also posted another great 90's band sometime back called Sideshow I highly recommend them as well.

Dave G.

screambloodygore said...

good stuff..thanks!

CHRIS said...

Me, you....and four other people at their first NY show.......

Dave G said...

So true Chris. We saw a lot of great bands in empty rooms back in the mid 90's.