Pages

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Franklin - Something Blue, Automotive 7" 1993 Slug Records














Franklin is another band that came out of the 90's emo scene. I know emo is a dirty word these days, but this is nothing like the shit they pass off as emo today. These guys have a more DC Revolution Summer style sound.

I spent some time as a roadie for my brothers band in the 90's and we played probably 10 shows with Franklin over the years. We would travel hundreds of miles to some nowhere cow town following directions written on a Mc Donald’s napkin, and when we would turn into the VFW Hall or Firehouse or some kids living room...Franklin would usually be sitting outside having a smoke, and that was always a comfort because we knew that even if only 10 kids showed up at least we would get to see Franklin play again.

5 comments:

BenB said...

This is awesome. They're quite similar to The Get Up Kids. I'm guessing they must have influenced TGUK down the line.

I hate how the term 'emo' gets thrown around these days. People forget what actual 'emo' bands sound like, haha.

cheers again for yet another great post.

jamieselzer said...

Franklin! Love this record.

Dave G said...

I knew you would like this one Jamie. I almost dedicated the post to you lol...

jamieselzer said...

Haha, and I almost called you a pussy (jokingly, of course) for posting an "emo" record! But I don't know you that well yet (though I think you would've gotten the joke).

Anyway, once again, you've made the 90s emo chick in me very, very happy. Thanks!

Dave G said...

Come on Jamie, it's not like I posted Jimmy Eat World