Pages

Friday, November 26, 2010

Johnboy - Claim Dedications 1994 Trance Syndicate














Since I am digging up some of my favorites from the late 80's / 90's underground scene I figured I should add Johnboy from Austin TX to the list. Johnboy played what I would have called Mathrock back in the day for lack of a better term...the music is heavy, rhythmic and mostly instrumental with the occasional spoken / shouted vocal thrown in for good measure.

Johnboy released 2 full length albums on Trance Syndicate ( "Pistol Swing" 1993 and "Claim Dedications 1994") which was a label co-founded by Butthole Surfers drummer King Coffey. I also have a 7" titled CalYx in my collection., and also a split 7" between Johnboy/Quitters Club . I'm not sure if Johnboy released anything else honestly, but if anyone knows about anything I am missing please comment...Dave G.

2 comments:

dirklancer said...

I only know of the two full-length(s) and one 7". Saw them in Hollywood back in '94. Great show. Thought they should have been huge. A buddy was way in Helmet at the time and I came across johnboy in a record bin - and told him "ditch your Helmet records".

dirklancer said...

I only know of the two full-length(s) and one 7". Saw them in Hollywood back in '94. Great show. Thought they should have been huge. A buddy was way in Helmet at the time and I came across johnboy in a record bin - and told him "ditch your Helmet records".