Pages

Friday, December 10, 2010

Shiny Beast - Boner Records 1992














I've been talking back and forth with JBM on a few of my 90's rock posts and the conversation has turned to Duck-EE Studios, North Carolina and Seam. Well, that got me thinking and sent me running to the cd rack for this Shiny Beast cd. Shiny Beast who hailed from North Carolina recorded this record at Duck EE studios in NC in 1991, and Seam's Soo Young Park added vocals to the song Lodestar, therefore I thought this would be a cool post to sort of tie all the ends together.

As far as the music goes this is thick mathrock type stuff with interesting guitar playing and odd time changes etc. In my opinion this is really great, and completely overlooked and forgotten...Dave G.

P.S. If anyone bothers to listen to this and likes it there is a Shiny Beast / Regraped split 12" out there as well. I'm sure it's out of print but probably easy enough to find, and the Shiny Beast tracks on the 12" are excellent.

Here


6 comments:

jbm said...

yep i was thinkin about this one after my Chapel Hill post. good stuff indeed. And i like the cover art.

Dave G, can i take a shock in the dart and ask if u have the Boondoggle - Groove Inside Yourself 7"?? ive pretty much given up on ever finding another copy of this one, but now my id turn my attention to just bein able to LISTEN to it again.

Dave G said...

Now you've stumped me. I am not familiar with the Boondoggle 7".

jbm said...

Aww. well thats why it was a "shock in the dart". Boondoggle were from Chattanooga and feat. Sean Meadows who of course went to June of 44. They had a tune on the Half Cocked soundtrack (the convenience store robbery scene, if you've seen that movie).

jbm said...

Dave G. while we're still on some NC shiz, but also taking a turn back towards metal, do u like or know Infernal Heirarchy - a.k.a False Prophet?? they released two great demos as False Prophet in '89 and '91, and one incredible 7" as Infernal Heirarchy in '93. Id say they were kinda Revenant-ish if i had to make a comparison off the dome, and the earlier stuff (i.e the 89 demo) is closer to Dark Angel or somethin. Def highly recommended.

Dave G said...

I have the Half Cocked soundtrack, but I haven't listened to it in so long that I don't remember who's on it. I'll have to give it a listen.

Dave G said...

Never heard of False Prophet/Heirarchy. I remember Revenant though who were a local band for me. I used to have a demo of theirs and I saw them a few times many years ago.